The Marvels, the upcoming film in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, is now forecasting early box office totals that represent a historic low for the MCU, according to a Box Office Pro report.
The Marvels Will Flop Due to Lack of Hype!
The movie’s opening weekend take is predicted to be between $50 million and $75 million, which is less than half of Captain Marvel’s opening weekend haul of $153.4 million.
Pre-sales have also decreased, falling 72% behind Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania and 69% behind those for Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3.
There are a number of factors that could be contributing to the lack of hype for The Marvels. One possibility is that Marvel Studios has simply oversaturated the market with superhero films. In the past few years, Marvel has released multiple films per year, and some fans may be feeling burnt out.
Another possibility is that The Marvels simply doesn’t have the same level of buzz as other recent MCU films. Captain Marvel was a groundbreaking film for Marvel Studios, as it was the first female-led film in the MCU. Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania and Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 are both sequels to popular films, and they feature fan-favorite characters like Ant-Man, the Wasp, and the Guardians of the Galaxy.
The Marvels, on the other hand, is a sequel to a film that was met with mixed reviews. While Captain Marvel was a commercial success, it was also criticized for its plot, characters, and direction. As a result, some fans may be hesitant to see The Marvels.
Finally, it’s also possible that the lack of hype for The Marvels is simply due to the current state of the world. The COVID-19 pandemic has had a major impact on the film industry, and many people are still hesitant to go to the movies. Additionally, the ongoing war in Ukraine has also dampened the public’s appetite for entertainment.
Whatever the reason, the lack of hype for The Marvels is a worrying sign for Marvel Studios. The MCU has been one of the most successful film franchises of all time, but it’s clear that Marvel can’t take its fans for granted.
In addition to the factors mentioned above, there are a few other things that could be contributing to the lack of hype for The Marvels.
- The film’s director, Nia DaCosta, is relatively unknown. She has only directed one other feature film, Candyman (2021), which was a critical and commercial success. However, she doesn’t have the same level of name recognition as other MCU directors like Ryan Coogler or Taika Waititi.
- The film’s cast is also relatively unknown. While Brie Larson is a big star, the other two leads, Iman Vellani and Teyonah Parris, are not as well-known. This could make it difficult to draw in audiences who are not already fans of the MCU.
- The film’s plot is still shrouded in mystery. Marvel has not released much information about the film’s plot, which could be making fans hesitant to see it.
It’s important to note that it’s still too early to say for sure whether The Marvels will flop. The film is not scheduled to be released until November 11, 2023, so there is still plenty of time for Marvel to generate hype for the film. However, the early signs are not encouraging.
If The Marvels does flop, it will be a major blow to Marvel Studios. The MCU has been one of the most successful film franchises of all time, but it’s clear that Marvel can’t take its fans for granted.
What Marvel Studios can do to generate hype for The Marvels
There are a number of things that Marvel Studios can do to generate hype for The Marvels.
- Release more information about the film’s plot. Fans are curious about what the film will be about, and Marvel Studios can generate hype by releasing more information about the plot. This could include releasing trailers, teasers, or character posters.
- Highlight the film’s director and cast. Nia DaCosta is a talented director, and Marvel Studios can generate hype for the film by highlighting her work. They can also highlight the film’s cast, which includes Brie Larson, Iman Vellani, and Teyonah Parris.
- Partner with other companies to promote the film. Marvel Studios can partner with other companies, such as toy companies and clothing companies, to promote the film. This could include releasing Marvels-themed merchandise.
- Hold fan events. Marvel Studios can hold fan events to generate hype for the film. This could include conventions, meet-and-greets, and screenings of the film.